Friday, July 2, 2010

To the AVFD, courtesy of the FDNY


After September 11th, 2001, the Aspen Volunteer Fire Department made arrangements for their brothers and sisters with the Fire Department of New York to visit us in the mountains in a gesture of appreciation and solidarity. This Fourth of July weekend, members of FDNY paid tribute to their brothers and sisters of the AVFD with a steel beam from the first World Trade Center to fall on 9-11. Carved into a symbol of the WTC and the number, 343, the number of FDNY firefighters who gave their last full measure.

1 comment:

  1. I live so close to NYC and it took me a few years after 9/11 before I ventured back. I have never been to the site where the Twin Towers once stood. I just can't bring myself to go there. I think the cityscape looks odd without the towers. Tragic events always change life as we know it. There is always something left to remind us that life is fragile and it is a gift. We should live and do things which make us better people - more human... more gentle and understanding. Thanks for the reminder, Geo.

    ReplyDelete